Re: Quake 2 sources GPL'd

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 11:06:21PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 07:56:26PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > I'm entirely happy with putting it in contrib, but I'm entirely
> > baffled by your position: what exactly do you think would be gained by
> > putting it in main?
>
> Well I'm not. It's taking the easy route. Dropping it into contrib and
> saying "you need to buy the data files from Id to use this" is a cop
> out, IMNSHO. Put it out there as a game development platform, which is
> _what it is_ and get the correct movement going.

If you want to start a game development platform around it, then create a CVS
repository where interested developers can contribute, and mailing lists where
they can discuss. What good does it make to copy the source file into a Debian
Package just for educational purposes?. People interested in that source file
might as well download it from the original site; while those anxious to play
Quake will get frustrated to see that quake2-engine, or whatever you call it,
doesn't do anything.

Merry Christmas,
Jaime