Re: Quake 2 sources GPL'd

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 08:08:56PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
>
> > > Second, your example seems totally fabricated.  If there were a
> > > plausible enterprise--ANYONE--who was seriously planning on using this
> > > engine to make free levels that don't depend on id's nonfree stuff,
> > > then I'd buy your argument.  But there really is no credible effort
> > > out there to do this; not because there is no package in Debian, but
> > > because it's a considerable venture and hasn't garnered interest.
> >
> > Fabricated!? You really want to underestimate the free software
> > community? We have a whole freaking OS free, and you don't think anyone
> > will put in the effort to make one a game?
>
> Maybe they will!  That would be great.  But I just don't see any
> actual effort out there, and it's been possible for a long time now.

What good is wasting the effort for a free set of datafiles for
something that was binary-only? Having the source means they can
understand the game better, and that it will be ported to more
platforms and will be _free_. This only recently happened.

> > Well I'm not. It's taking the easy route. Dropping it into contrib and
> > saying "you need to buy the data files from Id to use this" is a cop
> > out, IMNSHO. Put it out there as a game development platform, which is
> > _what it is_ and get the correct movement going.
>
> Hrm.

Are those gears I hear turning? :)

/                   Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux                  \