Re: package lists for older machines

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 06:15:11PM -0600, Adam Majer wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 06:57:54PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:

> > and a tool should be able to filter Packages.gz according to these
> > requirements. "Give me all packages that will run satisfactorily on my
> > P166 with 32 MB".

> How would the maintainer know that? Or upstream? And it might get changed in different versions. IMHO, people
> should know what their computer can run. Generally a package not req. X will run better than that that req. X.

Not to mention the different expectations different users will have for
every application and the different set of things people do with their
machines (using all RAM on a given machine is all very well providing
there's not another application sitting there with the same idea).

I'd anticipate that it would be very hard to come up with useful and
satisfactory metrics for packages to express their runtime resource
requirements.