Re: package lists for older machines

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 06:57:54PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:15:58 +0100, Erich Schubert <erich@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >A P166 should be a great mp3 player, but gnome probably is overkill...
> >So you'll need another Packages.gz for mp3-players, another for servers
> >(which do not need gnome ;) usw.
>
> So every package should have a control file stating its CPU
> requirements, memory requirements and what ever else comes to mind,
> and a tool should be able to filter Packages.gz according to these
> requirements. "Give me all packages that will run satisfactorily on my
> P166 with 32 MB".

How would the maintainer know that? Or upstream? And it might get changed in different versions. IMHO, people
should know what their computer can run. Generally a package not req. X will run better than that that req. X.
Or a smaller package will run faster than a larger counter part.... In most cases it's not too difficult to
determine from descriptions.

> Of course, dpkg should be able to pull in the full database if the
> local admin desires to try running a program that doesn't fit the
> local machine according to the maintainer's opinion.

Fits in my 20MB :) + you should always have swap space.

> Or dpkg should move away from the flat text file approach and store
> some pre-compiled database somewhere. I believe this is being prepared
> for a few years now.

Or it can process the Package file in chunks so only use 1MB or so if free indicates small amounts of ram -
<64MB? And run nice by def. would be nice too :)

-- Adam