Re: Quake 2 sources GPL'd

If there are "tools" available for building game levels, I'd certainly
build at least one level...

But I wouldn't dream of trying to do such a thing without a game engine to
test it on. How else to you test what you built? Why would you ever build
a game without an engine to run it on?

Lets not get the chiken/egg problem so screwed up we can't ever have
chicken _or_ eggs!

I need access to a game server/engine way before I begin to write game
territory.

"Free Quake II!"

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 11:57:21PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > If the only practical use of the engine is to run non-free levels from
> > id, then it belongs in contrib.
>
> But that's obviously not the case.  A game engine, especially one coded
> in large part by a luminary in the fieldlike John Carmack, is
> interesting and useful (to programmers) in its own right.
>
> We wouldn't stick a Free compiler or interpreter for some new-fangled
> programming language in contrib simply because no Free programs written
> in that language were yet packaged for Debian.
>
> I would, however, be tempted to mark such an engine as Priority extra
> until Free game levels were packaged for Debian, so that Debian's many
> non-programming users would not get their hopes up at being able to play
> the game in Debian as distributed.
>
> --
> G. Branden Robinson                |    You can have my PGP passphrase when
> Debian GNU/Linux                   |    you pry it from my cold, dead
> branden@debian.org                 |    brain.
> http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |    -- Adam Thornton

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-