Re: Quake 2 sources GPL'd

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 11:57:21PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> If the only practical use of the engine is to run non-free levels from
> id, then it belongs in contrib.

But that's obviously not the case.  A game engine, especially one coded
in large part by a luminary in the fieldlike John Carmack, is
interesting and useful (to programmers) in its own right.

We wouldn't stick a Free compiler or interpreter for some new-fangled
programming language in contrib simply because no Free programs written
in that language were yet packaged for Debian.

I would, however, be tempted to mark such an engine as Priority extra
until Free game levels were packaged for Debian, so that Debian's many
non-programming users would not get their hopes up at being able to play
the game in Debian as distributed.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    You can have my PGP passphrase when
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    you pry it from my cold, dead