Re: Quake 2 sources GPL'd

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 14:37:48 +0100,
  Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net> wrote:
> > There's no reason why the engine itself can't be included in Debian,
> > as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't absolutely *have* to have game
> > data, to
>
> But thats is an argument for putting all the stuff in contrib into
> Debian main.

Like I said, if you look at it from an educational percpective ... :)

But yeah, I see your point. I think in my mind the big difference is in
probability. Look at Lyx. It's in contrib because it requires libforms.
Upstream isn't interesting in rewriting it to not use libforms, and I
don't see any volounteers to come up with something a la lesstif.

But with Quake2, you can be pretty damned sure that there will be at
least dozens of people coming up with fully Free stuff that can be used
as quake2-data.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I think that, at least morally, it's
allright to put Quake2 in main.

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \