Re: Quake 2 sources GPL'd

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 09:51:17AM -0500, David B Harris <eelf@sympatico.ca> was heard to say:
> But yeah, I see your point. I think in my mind the big difference is in
> probability. Look at Lyx. It's in contrib because it requires libforms.
> Upstream isn't interesting in rewriting it to not use libforms, and I
> don't see any volounteers to come up with something a la lesstif.

  Actually, LyX is being ported upstream to Qt and Gtk/Gnome.  It's just
taking forever because they decided to do a huge all-encompassing
gui-independence framework instead of just getting something that worked.
  I believe the 2.0 release is supposed to have support for other
toolkits, but I'm not sure; I just read the news page a while ago, and
my memory is hazy.

> But with Quake2, you can be pretty damned sure that there will be at
> least dozens of people coming up with fully Free stuff that can be used
> as quake2-data.

  Just like they have for Quake 1?

  Daniel

|                      Put no trust in cryptic comments.                      |