Re: Flamewars & Why pedantic spelling is good.

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 02:55:13AM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > yawn.  you're wrong.  again.
>
> I have seen no quotes from you, of other, *outside* sources, that show
> 'zonefile' in widespread use.  I *have* seen posts saying that 'zone
> file' is, however.

i don't feel under any obligation to act as a dictionary for lazy or
stupid people, however earlier in this thread i already gave two
examples of other DNS-related packages within debian that use the word
'zonefile'.  in the description, no less.

i guess you must have missed that because i failed to highlight the
significance with an enormous flashing neon sign for the congenitally
stupid.  well here it is, just for you:

<BLINK>
Package: autodns-dhcp
 autodns-dhcp uses bind 8's dynamic update features to update a zonefile

Package: zone-file-check
Filename: pool/main/z/zone-file-check/zone-file-check_1.01-3_all.deb
 This script is used for syntax-checking your zone-files after a
 of zonefiles, but also if you just want to check a single file.
</BLINK>

any search on google or other search engines will reveal many thousands
of uses of the word 'zonefile'.  like i said, it's in common usage in
the field and has been for years.  but that couldn't possibly be
evidence, could it?  after all, that would mean i was right and that
would be embarrassing to admit to, wouldn't it?

> [blah blah blah]
> All procedures were followed.  To the letter.  So, that obviously means that
> the bugs are incorrect.  Not.

there's more to a bug report than following procedure to the letter.
relevance and correctness are more important attributes.

the bug reports i complained about were incorrect because neither
"zonefile" nor "usenet" are in any way spelling errors.  and frankly, i
don't give a damn whether you or anyone else agrees or disagrees.  it's
not in the least bit important.

now please shut up and stop wasting everyone's time with this tedious
thread.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>