Re: Flamewars & Why pedantic spelling is good.

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 04:33:20PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 10:07:21AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > synrg@sanctuary:~$ apt-cache show autodns-dhcp | egrep '(zone)|(file)'
> >
> > 'zone.?file' would be better. or 'zone[ -]?file'.
>
> [ excess irrelevant verbiage snipped ]
>
> Give it a rest, please.  I was showing that the description contained
> both words and was therefore matched.  It wasn't a regexp tutorial.

mine was a mini-tutorial.

your regexp would have matched any occurence of the word 'file', whether
it immediately followed the word 'zone' or not.

when searching for something, a big part of the problem is excluding
false positives.  a carefully constructed regexp will find you exactly
what you're looking for without any excess stuff.

btw, as someone has mentioned privately, 'howto' is no more a word than
'zonefile' is.  perhaps there should be auto spelling-flame bug reports
on every package that uses 'howto' rather than 'how to' in the
description.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>