Re: Conditional packages

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 03:29:06PM -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
>  I'm distributing a debian/ dir with many of my projects.  Currently,
> I'm working with AweMUD, and running into this problem.

IMHO distributing a debian/ dir with upstream sources is a bad thing.
You should not do it even if you are both upstream and the Debian
maintainer - one day this may no longer be true, and whoever is your
successor as the package maintainer won't like that situation!

For my own project, which is not (yet) an official Debian package, I
use the following system:

The tarball contains a deb/ directory. I instruct users to do
"./configure && make deb" if they want to create a .deb from the
upstream sources.

./configure does several things: It tests for the existence of
"debian", and if that is not present, it creates a symlink from
debian/ to deb/. Additionally, it creates a suitable changelog (just
one entry saying "created from upstream", with today's date) and
control file (with a clear note "unofficial package, built from
upstream source").

This way, my upstream stuff will never get in the way of anyone
packaging the program for Debian. See <http://atterer.net/jigdo> for
the source.

Cheers,

  Richard