Re: bug report against calamaris: what severity?

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 21:23:43 +0900 (JST),
  Oohara Yuuma <oohara@libra.interq.or.jp> wrote:
> 3) wishlist, because /etc/calamaris.conf is a configuration file
>    and the fix is pretty trivial (modifying 2 lines)
> 4) no bug file at all, because this is a feature; you know what
>    you are doing, and root should unpack and check .deb before
>    installing it

If I understand correctly, you're saying that on the first install of Calamaris, it could possibly overwrite what's already in /var/www . I say *first*, because if this was the second or subsequent run, you will have already modified /etc/calamaris.conf

If this is the case, then I would say "no bug", because a) if you'd already installed Calamaris previously but not from a .deb, you're assumed to know what you're doing and b) because if you hadn't put anything there beforehand, the first run will be non-destructive and then you just edit /etc/calamaris.conf to taste. (That's what config files are for, after all.) Oh, and c) because there is actually a debconf setting for this, too, so it isn't even necessarily destructive on the first run, *even if* you'd already had something installed from there :)

I would personally suggest you file a wishlist bug asking the maintainer to up the priority of the debconf question(though not through the BTS, just privately). I doubt they'd up the priority, but I could be wrong.

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \