Re: Debian menus policy

Michael Banck wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 10:12:34PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > Section 10.6. "Menus" says:
> >
> >      All packages that provide applications that need not be passed any
> >      special command line arguments for normal operation should register a
> >      menu entry for those applications
>
> What if I have an application which does not need an option, but might
> be enhanced by adding one or two options?
>
> Specifically, my 'jack' package rips&encodes a CD with just that
> command. 'jack -Q' will perform a FreeDB query before starting in order
> to name the files adequately. 'jack -q' make a FreeDB query after you
> ripped it, just renaming with the new information.
>
> Can I make a submenu for those two actions, or is this bad mannors?

  if there are very few reasonable ways to invoke the program then I
guess submenus are OK. But if there are more then say 5 of them it would
be much more elegant solution to write simple front-end that would
enable user to set the options (possibly have brief explanation for
options) in one of the scripting GUIs (tcl/tk, perl/tk, even dialog
might be sufficient). that might make it easier for user to run program
repeatedly (just hit the run button again instead of going to menu and
trying to remember which set of options worked well). Not sure if you
want to go that way but IMO it is very low overhead as far as work
required but quite a help for user when ran from menu.

	erik