Re: What happened to libgtkhtml19 in unstable?

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 09:59:20 +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> This might cause some quite ugly problems with the dependencies between
> libraries.

In the general case, yes. However, gnumeric does not link against any
libraries that link against libgal, so the problem does not arise there.

> > With gnumeric, I stepped out of that race by linking against gal
> > statically, which I've found to be a very satisfactory workaround.
>
> Could you revert this workaround at least for the package that will make
> it into stable?

Quite frankly, I don't see any advantage to reverting.

> BTW: Now that Evolution-1.0 is released libgal seems to change less
> frequently - no new so-name since more than one month.

That's not a guarantee at all. As a libgal developer explained to me:
"GAL is not meant to be api stable.  It role is to provide a place
to share code and to develop new interfaces.  When things
stabilize they move down into gnome or gtk.".

Ray
--
[Open Source] is the finest expression of the free market. Ideas are
encouraged to proliferate and the best thinking wins. By contrast, most