Re: What happened to libgtkhtml19 in unstable?

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 09:59:20 +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > This might cause some quite ugly problems with the dependencies between
> > libraries.
>
> In the general case, yes. However, gnumeric does not link against any
> libraries that link against libgal, so the problem does not arise there.

But as soon as you have different libgal packages in the distribution
this problem is possible (and in the worst case there will be
hard-to-track problems in some applications). gnumeric is perhaps not
affected but everyone suggesting to have several versions of a shared
library in the distribution should also suggest a solution to avoid these
problems.

> > > With gnumeric, I stepped out of that race by linking against gal
> > > statically, which I've found to be a very satisfactory workaround.
> >
> > Could you revert this workaround at least for the package that will make
> > it into stable?
>
> Quite frankly, I don't see any advantage to reverting.

The usual advantages of shared libraries:
- less disk space
- less memory usage when several application use the same library

If this is no longer important I'll start to link my packages statically
with libc to avoid breakages with future libc versions...

> > BTW: Now that Evolution-1.0 is released libgal seems to change less
> > frequently - no new so-name since more than one month.
>
> That's not a guarantee at all. As a libgal developer explained to me:
> "GAL is not meant to be api stable.  It role is to provide a place
> to share code and to develop new interfaces.  When things
> stabilize they move down into gnome or gtk.".

Yes, the situation with GAL isn't nice. But please find a solution whose
first priority are our users and not the most convenient way to pacakge
gnumeric.

> Ray

TIA
Adrian

--

Get my GPG key: finger bunk@debian.org | gpg --import

Fingerprint: B29C E71E FE19 6755 5C8A  84D4 99FC EA98 4F12 B400