Re: Debian trademark [was: Debian GNU/w32, may ready to be started?]

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 10:31:39AM +0100, Peter Makholm wrote:
> tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:
>
> > Still, people are free to go ahead with their project.  I don't demand
> > that people not do it--how could I?  I only say: "don't call it GNU;
> > don't call it Debian; don't use Debian's resources".
>
> And I say: 'Do call it Debian; it could only be a win for the
> project'. See a problem here? We don't agree on a very basic point.

The same argument would be "Do call the non-free section part of
Debian, it could only be a win for the project". That's a perfectly
consistent point of view; maybe you hold that point of view too.  But
most of us here don't.

> I thinks it would be double standards if FSF wan't us to call Linux
> with GNU user space for GNU/Linux and say we can't call Windows with
> GNU userspace for GNU/Windows. It wouldn't suprise me but it is not
> something we can decide here.

Not really double standards.  It's their name, they get to choose what
they wish to promote with it. It seems inconsistent to you; it seems
sensible to me.

Jules