Re: lintian, strip --strip-unneeded, section, and priority

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 10:07:56AM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > When I check the final package with lintian, I get:
> >
> > W: lodju: binary-has-unneeded-section ./usr/bin/lodju .note
> > W: lodju: binary-has-unneeded-section ./usr/bin/lodju .comment
> > W: lodju: no-section-field
> > W: lodju: no-priority-field
> >
> > 1. Does --strip-unneeded not work correctly? I realize that I can remove
> > these sections with the -R option, I'm just curious why strip and lintian
> > don't agree about what sections are unneeded.
>
> Not sure why strip doesn't remove these ...

Me either. Is it a bug?

> > 2. The control file built by dpkg-buildpackage has neither section nor
> > priority fields. What is keeping them out of the final control file? Do I
> > really have to use the -D option in order to force the section and
> > priority field?
>
> You need to use 'dpkg-gencontrol -isp'. For some reason (presumably
> historical), this isn't the default.

Ahh! That explains why I have this in other rules files ;-)

I guess I should have read the manpage farther ;-)  This option _is_
documented...

BTW, the -D options work too, but that creates two places that must be
checked when the items change. I like -isp better, thanks!

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-