Re: lintian, strip --strip-unneeded, section, and priority

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> Before I install the lodju binary into debian/tmp/usr/bin I do a 'strip
> --strip-unneeded lodju'.
>
> I include a section and priority field in both the source paragraph and
> the package paragraph.
>
> When I check the final package with lintian, I get:
>
> W: lodju: binary-has-unneeded-section ./usr/bin/lodju .note
> W: lodju: binary-has-unneeded-section ./usr/bin/lodju .comment
> W: lodju: no-section-field
> W: lodju: no-priority-field
>
> 1. Does --strip-unneeded not work correctly? I realize that I can remove
> these sections with the -R option, I'm just curious why strip and lintian
> don't agree about what sections are unneeded.

RTFM.  --strip-unneeded doesn't remove all of the "unneeded" sections,
just those that are unneeded for relocation processing.  On some targets,
removing .comment can lead to problems (sometimes alpha, hence our
unstripped XFree86 driver modules) for reasons like this.