Re: Debian trademark [was: Debian GNU/w32, may ready to be started?]

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 06:59:41PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > The first thing that comes to people's minds when they think of
> > 'Debian'[1] is "free operating system".  Many people believe there is
> > value in this connotation.  A port of Debian to win32 is /not/ a free
> > operating system, it's a collection of free software running on a
> > proprietary operating system.  Using the same "Debian" name for both
> > things would dilute this connotation.  Is that what we, as a community,
> > would want?
>
> I understand your position here, and it comes close to convincing me that
> you may be right, except that I am still not convinced that this is
> anything more than neurotic fear of non-free associations. I don't fear
> the association, even with Windblows ... it can only make us look better.

  neurotic
       adj 1: characteristic of or affected by neurosis; "neurotic
              disorder"; "neurotic symptoms"
       2: affected with emotional disorder [syn: {psychoneurotic}]
          [ant: {unneurotic}]

Doesn't seem to be anything neurotic about fear of non-free
associations to me.[1] Plus, I wouldn't want my time wasted by people
whining about bugs caused by MS braindamage. I (and I expect a lot of
other people) am not going to contort my code in order to accomodate
such absurdities - if it doesn't autobuild, it will probably never get
built.

[1] "Debian... isn't that the crappy DOS box for windows?"

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK