Re: Debian trademark [was: Debian GNU/w32, may ready to be started?]

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 06:14:04PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:

<intersting bloat removed ;->

> > How is this any different from Debian providing support for free software
> > running on a proprietary OS? The provided software is free. Only the
> > target OS isn't. The result is that folks who couldn't use free software
> > before are now able to. Doesn't that "promote the use of free software"?
>
> The first thing that comes to people's minds when they think of
> 'Debian'[1] is "free operating system".  Many people believe there is
> value in this connotation.  A port of Debian to win32 is /not/ a free
> operating system, it's a collection of free software running on a
> proprietary operating system.  Using the same "Debian" name for both
> things would dilute this connotation.  Is that what we, as a community,
> would want?

I understand your position here, and it comes close to convincing me that
you may be right, except that I am still not convinced that this is
anything more than neurotic fear of non-free associations. I don't fear
the association, even with Windblows ... it can only make us look better.

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-