Re: Debian Packages

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 08:30:56AM -0800, Mathew Eis wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am building some binaries for parts of the base system
> for the buggy 68LC040 (debian-68k).
>
> Could someone help me with understanding how to create a
> debian package? Do I need a PGP key to do so?

You need to read the "Debian New Maintainers' Guide" [1] and
the "Debian Policy Manual and related documents" [2]: "Debian
Developer's Reference" [3], is another good document to read.

debhelper [4] scripts are your friends and will help you in creating
packages; debconf [5] is a valuable tool to offer a friendly interface
to configure the package (whenever you need to prompt for any question).
Reed their documentation.

You need the PGP/GPG key only to sign your package or eventually become
a Debian Developer.

If you have more specific questions, ask them here on this list or on
the IRC channel #debian on irc.debian.org.

http://www.debian.org/devel may have more information.

cheers,

[1] package: maint-guide
[2] package: debian-policy
[3] package: developers-reference
[4] package: debhelper
[5] package: debconf
--
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis
aliases: Luca ^De [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]*[iy]'\?s$