Re: Stop it

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 10:47:32PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > The regularity of this annoyance suggests to me that the default page
> > we are installing is not adequate.  It *should* be adequate, but
> > unfortunately there are just too many clueless fools in the world.  We
> > need something else--perhaps just a straightforward error message,
> > with a very brief note attached.
>
> Perhaps we should leave the page as is (it is full of useful links) but
> simply place, in big letters at the top of the page, a message to the effect
> of "If you are seeing this page, the administrator has not yet configured
> this server. Come back later or email him/her here".

How does this sound?

  "Welcome to the default home page of a Debian Apache XXX
  web server install.  If you are seeing this it is because
  {site host name} hasn't updated the default installed home
  page.  Please contact the site's administrator to inform
  them of this or come back latter."

Though I'm not sure it would work.  This is what is currently
displayed:

  Welcome to Your New Home in Cyberspace!

  This is a placeholder page installed by the Debian release
  of the Apache Web server package, because no home page was
  installed on this host. You may want to replace this as
  soon as possible with your own web pages, of course....

      This computer has installed the Debian GNU/Linux
      operating system but has nothing to do with the
      Debian GNU/Linux project. If you want to report
      something about this hosts behavour or domain,
      please contact the ISPs involved directly, not the
      Debian Project.

      See the Network Abuse Clearinghouse for how to do
      this.

  Unless you changed its configuration, your new server
  is configured as follows:

[much configuration notes snipped.]

It may be the page needs to be rewritten from the standpoint
of speaking to an external viewer rather than to the system's
administrator.  The reader may then better understand and or
pay attention to the message rather than ignoring the content
and blaming Debian.  It may also help to have the Debian
"advertising" latter.  Placed after text explaining the page
seen is a default page and who to contact.

--
|  Bryan Andersen   |   bryan@visi.com   |   http://www.nerdvest.com   |
| Buzzwords are like annoying little flies that deserve to be swatted. |