Re: [logcheck] I hear you...

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Jens Ruehmkorf wrote:
> I prefer to see error/success messages in the order they occur. If you
> parallelize execution (e.g. fsck) you cannot serialize output.

Of course you can. It requires redirecting stderr and stdout per initscript
to some sort of buffer (hard to do for rcS.d, btw -- requires ramdisks,
probably), and outputing it when the initscript exits.

Obviously, it becomes a major pain if something hangs, so you end up doing
something akin to what apt does with its download methods, with a status
line that scrolls down leaving behind the output of every initscript that
finishes running.

Hell of a complicated solution, and something I am not very enthusiastic to
have as a init system, though. Even if it would allow one to have VERY
advanced control of what the initscript is doing (e.g. even timing out
initscripts would be possible).

Oh, it requires us to clean up the exit codes of all initscripts, but then
LSB already does that, too.  And to rewrite them all to use the "output
wrappers" required (might as well get those from LSB), and devise an way to
bring an initscript to the "foreground" if it requires keyboard input...

  Henrique Holschuh