Re: debian-devel-digest Digest V101 #225

>Today's Topics:
>  Re: Color in init scripts, was [logc  [ Adam Lazur <zal@debian.org> ]
>  Re: update_excuses.html               [ Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.or ]
>  Re: update_excuses.html               [ "Christopher C. Chimelis" <chris@de ]
>  Re: update_excuses.html               [ Jules Bean <jules@jellybean.co.uk> ]
>  Re: update_excuses.html               [ Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> ]
>  Re: virtual package (x-)editor ?      [ Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.n ]
>  Re: xg (Re: virtual package (x-)edit  [ Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.n ]
>  [Matt Crawford <crawdad@fnal.gov>] g  [ Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> ]
>  Re: I hear you...                     [ Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill. ]
>  Re: [vhost-base] Draft policy propos  [ Daniel Stone <daniel@sfarc.net> ]
>  Re: update_excuses.html               [ Andreas Rottmann <a.rottmann@gmx.at ]
>  heimdal override disparity            [ Brian May <bam@debian.org> ]
>  Re: heimdal override disparity        [ Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.n ]
>  Re: Lilo Upgrade Bug                  [ Brian May <bam@debian.org> ]
>  Re: I hear you...                     [ Grant Bowman <grantbow@svpal.org> ]

>------------------------------

>Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:02:42 -0500
>From: Adam Lazur <zal@debian.org>
>To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
>Subject: Re: Color in init scripts, was [logcheck] I hear you...

>--aM3YZ0Iwxop3KEKx

>Eduard Bloch (edi@gmx.de) said:
>> Well, if we extend the init scripts in a wise way, we could make use of
>> fancy graphics without breaking much stuff. Return to my first proposal:
>> we define escape sequences to set a mark on certain events. Then we hack
>> init to show the user (eg. on framebuffer console) some fancy graphics
>> bar (eg. using FB toolkits), somethung like the current KDE/Gnome splash
>> (status) screens. Okay, this would need a bit more work, and someone
>> (eventually me) should make a good proposal to standadize this things.

>Escape sequences, parsing output, and hacking init?

>Sounds like a kludge to me.

>See the LSB specifications on system init, it is substantially less
>hackish IMO.

>The url (again) is:

>http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.0.0/gLSB/sysinit.html

>--=20
>Adam Lazur, Cluster Monkey

>--aM3YZ0Iwxop3KEKx

>--aM3YZ0Iwxop3KEKx--

>------------------------------

>Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 07:41:24 +1100
>From: Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>
>To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
>Subject: Re: update_excuses.html

>Jules Bean <jules@jellybean.co.uk> wrote:

>> Why else does this idea suck?

>Because it is not necessary.  The maintainer should change the source
>package name.
>--
>Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 is out! ( http://www.debian.org/ )
> [...]

*** Your message did not reach its recipient ***
It was caught by the mailing system as spam.
If this message is not spam and you feel that
this message was caught in error, please email
a note to spam_filter@netfx-2000.net.
If this message is spam, knock it off!
This server is in California where it is illegal
to spam! We do not accept spam here!
We will go after all spammers to the maximum
extent of the law!