Re: [potato] util-linux won't compile

On 28 Nov 2001, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:

> Hi .debs,

Hi Olaf,

> I'm not having much luck rebuilding potato's util-linux (2.10f-5.1) in
> a clean, but severely stripped down, potato environment (all essential
> packages plus dependencies and build-essential basically).
>
> The build bombs out on the nfsmount.c compile with a longish list of
> redefinition warnings and type conflicts of stuff defined in both
>
>   /usr/include/linux/in.h and
>   /usr/include/netinet/in.h
>
> and a lack of prototypes for various __swab* and __fswap* functions in
>
>   /usr/include/linux/byteorder/swab.h
>
> On top of that NFS_PORT and NFS_VERSION are not defined.
>
> Does anyone know what's going on and how to fix this?

this problem is known as #106440. Unfortunately I don't know a solution.
:-(

The problem is that in kernel 2.2.17 (?) there was a big NFS backport and
since the glibc package in stable contains recent 2.2 kernel headers it
ships these headers. The ancient util-linux version in stable doesn't
compile with these headers. I asked ajt and joey a good fortnight ago
whether they'd accept a util-linux-2.10s package although it would be a
new upstream version - besides the compile problem it will also fix the
(harmless - but annoying) "nfs warning: mount version older than kernel"
warning with the 2.2 kernel in potato that was first described in #78735
(the util-linux-2.10s package I'm talking about is without any changes
since over 6 months as part of my packages to run kernel 2.4.x on potato
[1] - I haven't heard of any problems with this package (except one small
problem with devfs - but that's irrelevant for potato) despite it's surely
installed by more than thousand people on four architectures - that's why
I consider it relatively stable).

I tried some times to backport the relevant changes to 2.10f but this
always caused problems and is more likely to break the mount package than
upgrading to the 2.10s package.

cu
Adrian (util-linux maintainer)

[1] http://wwww.fs.tum.de/~bunk/kernel-24.html

--

Get my GPG key: finger bunk@debian.org | gpg --import

Fingerprint: B29C E71E FE19 6755 5C8A  84D4 99FC EA98 4F12 B400