Re: NMU and hijacking of gnome-apt

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 02:27:45PM -0800, "Karl M. Hegbloom" <karlheg@hegbloom.net> was heard to say:

>     Erik> aptitude rocks, or used to rock, now I cannot make it show
>     Erik> what it is going to do. how do you use it to do equivalent
>     Erik> of dist-upgrade so that you see what's going to happen?
>
>  I found that it works better to do an "apt-get -u dist-upgrade" from
>  the command line prior to running "aptitude" to find new packages and
>  perform mass install / remove operations.
>
>  Perhaps he will fix it; but what happens, at least in unstable, is
>  that when packages fail to install, it cops out (sooner than the
>  apt-get) and drops you back into the interface.

  I originally based the code for installation pretty closely on apt-get;
I'm not sure why this behavior would be seen (I've never really noticed it,
actually)  File a wishlist bug or I'll forget about it, probably.

  The real bug here is that libapt can't work around broken packages...I
think the standard explanation has something to do with dpkg not
reporting enough information or something.

  (actually, the "real" bug is broken packages, but nevermind :) )

  Daniel

|  Afternoon, n.:                                                             |
|    That part of the day we spend worrying about how we wasted the morning.  |
\-Evil Overlord, Inc: planning your future today. http://www.eviloverlord.com-/