RE: LinuxPPC on PB3400: does any version work?

> How did you get XFree-4.1.99-1b installed on LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 ?...
>
> I have tried the RPMS. They tell me I need GLIBC_2.2 ...

Actually, you do not need glibc 2.2. There are two XFree-4.1.99-1b rpm packages sets on linuxppc.org, one compiled for glibc 2.2 and the other compiled for glibc 2.1. I just installed the packages for glibc 2.1.
You can find the XFree rpm packages for glibc 2.1 on http://linuxppc.org/software/index/developers/kfukui/glibc-2.1.3-room/XF4.x/ByName.html

>So I went and got
> glibc_2.2.4 ... Glibc told me it had several conflicts with
> other versions
> of glibc. When I did a force install on it, it broke my linux
> with an error
> "Fatal: kernel too old" I reloaded the older glibc from the
> rpms on the CD.
> So off I went to get the 2.4 kernel. When I load the 2.4
> kernel, it freezes
> on a message that the IDE driver failed.
> The 2.4 kernel I tried was from
> /users/kfukui/kernel-2.4.x-Ben/kernel-UNI-CPU

Well, I am using the kernel-2.2.x and glibc-2.1.x that I found on the linuxppc CD and I did not try upgrading that.
If you get the XFree packages compiled for glibc-2.1 you will not need glibc2.2. I guess upgranding glibc is a more difficult task than just upgrading XF.

> Also, I looked at your info on running XFree with more then 8
> bits. Just
> thought the 3400 users who still use the default installation
> can change
> /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers to add "-depth 16" before the :0
> display number. I'm
> not sure if this will work with 4.1 as seen above ;)

I will try that on my PB with XFree 4.1. Probably, on XF 4.1 we need add -depth 15 because the colors become messed with 16 bits colors on XF4.1. That is the reason I suggested using 15 bits colors on my post about running XFree with more than 8 bits.

I think that your problems will be solved just downloading  and installing the XF packages for glibc 2.1. I am not a Linux or XFree expert and it worked for me. I am sure that it will work for you :)

Regards

Evandro