Re: [logcheck] I hear you...

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:11:02PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 05:08:59PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
> >     Alec> The whole [OK], [FAILED], etc thing that RedHat does with
> >     Alec> colors is nice, but not really necessary. While some
> >     Alec> additional things can be useful, others are mainly eye
> >     Alec> candy. I believe adding the kind of success/failure system
> >     Alec> RedHat uses is mainly eyecandy.
> >
> >  But that "eyecandy" gives it a "more finished", "polished", "sexy",
> >  or "professional" look.
>
> actually, it gives it a "toy" look. only toy operating systems hide
> important information from users.
>
> real professional systems administrators want to see any messages
> printed by daemons when they start (or fail to start), hiding these
> messages in order to display a pretty green OK or a flashing red FAILED
> is throwing away useful information.
Nobody said that the messages should be hidden.

The OK and FAILED doesn't imply hiding any messages.

They maybe formatted differently or something, but no reason to hide
things like in Red Hat.

[snip]

--
	GPG key-id: 1024D/DF04A255                 Dmitriy
	AA16 8FAB 74E1 3511 83D0  9F4B F087 CEC9 DF04 A255