Re: Debian GNU/w32, may ready to be started?

Hello,

I got your point and agree with it, but this is not me who set the project
in sourceforge, but Mark Paulus. If you feel he's wrong on this, please
explain
it to him as he probably hasn't recieved your message from the list.

Also what i wanted is the project to be set inside debian instead of going
through sourceforge.

You may reach him at <mpaulus78@earthlink net>

Regards,

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 13:59:27 Dave Baker wrote:

> Side comment (feel free to ignore if you so desire).  I have to suggest
> against going with sourceforge ... I set up a couple of projects there
> (now mostly dead, but that's another story) and even as long ago as
> end-of-1999 had some bad feelings about the 'hotel california'ness of it
> all when the staff refused to delete a totally hosed CVS tree that I'd
> created.  Rather than delete the tarred it up and kept it on file.  Not
> that it's bad in itself, but I got to wondering how much more control
> that
> gave them over my project than I really wanted.
>
> This has come up again more recently with SF going to a NON-FREE codebase
> for their own site, while maintaining the old stuff under the previous
> license.
>
> As far as I can tell, there is no way to extract your project from SF
> once
> it's been loaded there.  A quick check of the navigation bar doesn't
> reveal any way to delete it if you so desire either.  There have been a
> couple of good articles on the subject, along with some fairly high
> visibility moves to savannah.
>
> Check savannah.  Then, check elsewhere.  Then, consider source forge.
>
> Frankly it scares me that a NON-FREE web site (now run by a company
> fighting for survival, and yes, I still have 120 of their stocks for what
> that's worth) has become the de-facto standard location for FREE software
> to be hosted or found (note the number of virtual projects hosted there
> which are simply records in their project database with links to the real
> web site).
>

> Sorry if this has come out as too much of a rant - it's not intended that
> way.
>
> Dave
>
> --
>
> - Dave Baker  :  dave@dsb3.com  :  dave@devbrain.com  :  http://dsb3.com/
> -
> GnuPG:  1024D/D7BCA55D / 09CD D148 57DE 711E 6708  B772 0DD4 51D5 D7BC
> A55D

Robert Millan          Debian GNU/Hurd user
zeratul2 wanadoo es    http://getyouriso.dyndns.org/
GPG ID C8D6942C
237F 8688 C2E5 BC64 E152  97B4 FB28 D41B C8D6 942C