Re: [logcheck] I hear you...

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>  Perhaps we should assimilate "chkconfig" then?  Embrace and extend
>  it?

Maybe. But make that a full redesign. If you are going to do it, you better
do it right, i.e., make it LSB-compatible, capable of using dependencies,
logging to syslog (packing the output of each service together by default,
switchable off for debugging), capable of doing things in parallel, and
submit it to the LSB too while at it.

>  output also.  If that is accomplished in a suitably object oriented
>  style; that is, through a documented call interface... the actual

YAY! shoop in the init scripts!  Now we will thruly be able to claim Debian
is elitist: "You can't even understand how our stuff works! We are 31337"
:-P

>  What ever got done with that dependancy based init script setup that
>  got tossed around for a while?  Has anyone ever implemented it?

Yes, but not for Debian. Do a google hunt of the net, I lost the URL a long
time ago...

  Henrique Holschuh