apt-get and proxies

Hi,

I'm trying to use apt-get both via direct connection to Internet and
via a proxy-server. After reading the apt.conf manual page and the
examples linked to there I'm getting either direct connection _or_ via
proxy working. The situation is summarized as follows:

1: No proxy setting in /etc/apt/apt.conf
Direct connection works, not via proxy. According to the manual page
setting the http_proxy environment variable should enable proxy, it
does not! (wget works with the http_proxy and ftp_proxy settings)

2: Proxy setting in /etc/apt/apt.conf

Connection via proxy works, not direct connection. Setting for example
Proxy::http.us.debian.org "DIRECT"; restores the direct connection to
this address but disables proxy. However, having proxy defined in
apt.conf and setting the http_proxy environment variable _disables_
proxy support, and enables direct connection. This is in contrast with
expectations and what is written in the manual pages.

Can someone please explain the correct settings. Am I missing something?

Svante