Re: Freeze Update [2001/11/19]

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 06:59:04PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 12:18:02AM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
> > I bet you forgot to do src:gpm :-)
>
> Indeed, on that package I did forget.  There are two others:
>
> [#85551, #110112, #112235], powerpc segfault when gpm isn't running (no
> comment from maintainer)

I tracked this down yesterday, it's a one-line fix :-)
(My apologies for not sending that info to the BTS, I was bughunting
interactively with the maintainer.)

> #119892, which appears to be a shared library versioning problem.  Few
> details.

I've seen a very similar problem before with bash and readline, which
was ultimately caused by libc6-dev.  I think libgpm got bitten by it
before libc6-dev was fixed[1].  It's something that happens when you
compile a shared library without -O, which turns out to be the case
(accidentally) for libgpm.

There's no real fix for it now.  libgpm in sid has a bogus fstat symbol
that will go away with the next recompile (because libc6-dev was fixed),
and after that w3m will break in sid the same way it breaks in woody.
Fortunately, w3m can then be recompiled and all will be fine.

The alternative is to commit barfingly gross hackery to create an
fstat symbol in libgpm, and keep it there until the next soname change.
That would also make us incompatible with other distributions.

[1] I don't recall exactly where it was fixed, I'm guessing in
libc6-dev but it might be some other part of the toolchain.

--
Richard Braakman
Will write free software for money.