Re: Freeze Update [2001/11/19]

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 12:18:15AM +0100, Karsten Merker wrote:
<snip>
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 12:06:02PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > many many packages look like they'll need to be removed, notably gpm (on
> > > which packages such as jed, links, mc, pdmenu, vim, and w3m depend)
> >
> > Of course, if gpm is really removed (and it's buggy as all hell right
> > now..), most if not all of this stuff can be rebuilt to work without it.
>
> If possible, I would like to see gpm being kept - for Debian/MIPS on
> DECstations, running gpm in repeater mode is the only way to get X
> running.

It will stay if I can get it going, my biggest worry is that I want an
impartial 3rd party to mediate between me, the kernel people, and
Branden.

> XFree does not have support for the DEC VS-XXX-AA mice, so mouse support
> works by letting gpm do the mouse handling and deliver a mouse systems
> compatible data stream to the X server.
>
> The version of gpm currently in the archives does not have DEC mouse
> support, but I have sent a patch to the gpm maintainer which implements
> it. An unofficial package with the patch can be found at:
> ftp://bolugftp.uni-bonn.de/pub/mipsel-linux/packages/experimental/

What bug #? If only sent upstream a copy to me would be useful and I'll
try to include it in the upload tomorrow.

Now, on the subject of possibly having to recompile apps, under x86
that may be required anyways due to fsync issues, if so then I plan on
laying the blame entirely on glibc. <G>

Anyways, I'm going to get some sleep here, and will do more tomorrow.

Zephaniah E. Hull.

--
	1024D/E65A7801 Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@babylon.d2dc.net>
	   92ED 94E4 B1E6 3624 226D  5727 4453 008B E65A 7801