Re: Proposal: Virtual package motif, motif-dev

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 10:09:43AM +0100, Tille, Andreas wrote:
> I´m dealing with a package which would compile either with lesstif or motif.
> I have to make it build-depend from one of them in the current state.
> I would really like to have the freedom to use just the installed
> flavour od the motif providing library.

>From the free software point of view, a build dependency on lesstif would
be just fine.  It is a must in the case a compilation with motif is
significantly different from a compilation with lesstif (for example, if
inlined motif code is in the header files, and the package is GPLed).

In any way, I would not suggest taking motif as the norm here, but lesstif.
This would imply to name the virtual package, if they are desired, lesstif
and lesstif-dev (or such).  We should seek to refer to free software rather
than non-free software.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de