Re: The Second Great Spelling Check (Re: Package descriptions and making them better)

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 02:41:28PM +0100, Richard Braakman wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 11:39:21PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >
> > http://people.debian.org/~mdz/spelling/corrections.diff.gz
>
> This is great work.  I spotted some possible further corrections while
> browsing your diff, and it would be nice if you could address them in
> the same bugreports.  I also found some mis-corrections on your part.
> I'm giving them here in raw form because I'm too lazy to make diffs :)

I've been slowly working through the diff to make this kind of correction,
and I will incorporate your changes.  Thanks.

> 3dwm-pickclient:
> - This is an example clien on how libzorn work.
> + This is an example client on how libzorn work.
> The grammar also needs work, I suggest:
>   This is an example client to show how libzorn works.
> (And if this really is what the package is for, then I would suggest
> removing the package and putting it in an examples directory in
> libzorn-dev... but that's a different issue.)

Yes, there are quite a few of these.  It is a good idea, as you did with
your check, to look at the packages which had errors caught by ispell and
look for other errors.

> adbbs:
> I suggest getting rid of the period.
>
> adduser:
> - initial password and gecos.
> + initial password and GECOS.
> I suggest s/GECOS/GECOS field/.

Both done.

> asis-programs:
> - This package contains four programs (asistant, display_source, gnatelim and
> + This package contains four programs (assistant, display_source, gnatelim and
> This correction is wrong, the program really is called asistant.  It's
> a pun on asis.

There will probably be a number of these (I fixed this one, of course) where
I couldn't know whether there was actually an error.  In some cases, I
downloaded the source package to check if I was unsure, but I obviously
couldn't do this for every package or it would have taken even longer than
it did.  I'll just have to rely on the maintainers to close the bad bugs
which slip through.

> cpuburn:
> - CPUburn is a collection of programs to put heavy stress on cpu.
> + CPUburn is a collection of programs to put heavy stress on CPU.
> I suggest s/CPU/a CPU/.

Done.

> cricket:
> Your diff for this is weird, it modifies Version and Size instead of
> Description.  Scripting glitch?  In any case, watch out for it.

This happened because cricket is my package, and I updated my local
repository while I was still working on the check (while I was periodically
copying in a pristine available file to mangle).  There were a handful of
other packages which were installed on my system and upgraded during that
time.  I'll be weeding these out manually.

> cstocs:
> -  - Single to single or single to many chars recodings are supported.
> +  - Single to single or single to many chars recordings are supported.
> This correction is wrong.  cstocs recodes text files (from one code
> to another), so it supports recodings.

Fixed.

> dpsyco:
>   administrated by this tool. This means that if you do not have a admin
> - package that set up users theese users WILL BE REMOVED.
> + package that set up users these users WILL BE REMOVED.
> There are also grammar errors, s/a admin/an admin/ and s/set up/sets up/.

Fixed.

> epic4-script-thirdeye:
> - It's features include flood protection, nearly completely configurable ansi
> + It's features include flood protection, nearly completely configurable ANSI
> Also s/It's/Its/.

Yep.

> grandfatherclock:
> It should also have s/tolls/tells/ :-)

Fixed.

> ixbiff:
> I think that's just "LEDs".

Correct, fixed.  I did this correctly in other parts of the diff, so it was
probably a typo in ispell.

> trustees:
> - This package provides settrustee utility, which enables new priviliges from
> + This package provides settrustee utility, which enables new privileges from
> s/settrustee/the settrustee/

Fixed.

Thanks for your help.

--