Re: The Second Great Spelling Check (Re: Package descriptions and making them better)

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 11:39:21PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> http://people.debian.org/~mdz/spelling/corrections.diff.gz

This is great work.  I spotted some possible further corrections while
browsing your diff, and it would be nice if you could address them in
the same bugreports.  I also found some mis-corrections on your part.
I'm giving them here in raw form because I'm too lazy to make diffs :)

3dwm-pickclient:
- This is an example clien on how libzorn work.
+ This is an example client on how libzorn work.
The grammar also needs work, I suggest:
  This is an example client to show how libzorn works.
(And if this really is what the package is for, then I would suggest
removing the package and putting it in an examples directory in
libzorn-dev... but that's a different issue.)

adbbs:
I suggest getting rid of the period.

adduser:
- initial password and gecos.
+ initial password and GECOS.
I suggest s/GECOS/GECOS field/.

asis-programs:
- This package contains four programs (asistant, display_source, gnatelim and
+ This package contains four programs (assistant, display_source, gnatelim and
This correction is wrong, the program really is called asistant.  It's
a pun on asis.

cpuburn:
- CPUburn is a collection of programs to put heavy stress on cpu.
+ CPUburn is a collection of programs to put heavy stress on CPU.
I suggest s/CPU/a CPU/.

cricket:
Your diff for this is weird, it modifies Version and Size instead of
Description.  Scripting glitch?  In any case, watch out for it.

cstocs:
-  - Single to single or single to many chars recodings are supported.
+  - Single to single or single to many chars recordings are supported.
This correction is wrong.  cstocs recodes text files (from one code
to another), so it supports recodings.

dpsyco:
  administrated by this tool. This means that if you do not have a admin
- package that set up users theese users WILL BE REMOVED.
+ package that set up users these users WILL BE REMOVED.
There are also grammar errors, s/a admin/an admin/ and s/set up/sets up/.

epic4-script-thirdeye:
- It's features include flood protection, nearly completely configurable ansi
+ It's features include flood protection, nearly completely configurable ANSI
Also s/It's/Its/.

grandfatherclock:
It should also have s/tolls/tells/ :-)

ixbiff:
I think that's just "LEDs".

trustees:
- This package provides settrustee utility, which enables new priviliges from
+ This package provides settrustee utility, which enables new privileges from
s/settrustee/the settrustee/

HTH,

Richard Braakman