Re: Release candidate of gimp-print

Hi Eric,

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 12:18:35PM -0500, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> > I got another bug report today because my gs package in testing is
> > incredibly outdated because libgimpprint1 is not available there.
> > The reason seems to be that there are a few high severity bugs
> > blocking the installation of your packages into testing.
>
> Those bugs should be downgraded.  There's no reason they should be
> marked as they are.

So why didn't you do that as the maintainer ;-) I sent an email to
control@bugs to lower the severity.

> > Now I noticed that a new upstream release of gimp-print is available
>
> Yes, I have the new release in preparation.  The previous release
> was unpackagable so I didn't upload it.

Hmm, what do you mean by "unpackable"? :-) I also downloaded the release
before rc1 to check if the bug was gone weeks ago but I was unable to
build a package from it - is that what you mean?

> > I stumbled across the fact that the upstream tarball contains a
> > debian tree as well and conflicts with the Debian diff quite a bit.
>
> Roger and I coordinate these releases.  The build system we have in
> place is a little complicated.  Please note that there are two
> branches in the upstream CVS, one dedicated specifically to Debian.

Ah, okay. My impression was that both of you are packaging gimp-print
in competition to each other.

> > Now I am wondering why two persons are maintaining a package of
> > gimp-print - this looks like wasted effort for me.
>
> Two persons?  You mean Roger?  We work together.  It's not wasted
> effort, it's shared development.

ack

> > Also it stopped me from preparing a package suitable for NMU since
> > I don't have any idea which of the big number of changes in the
> > Debian diff have to get into the next package.
>
> It's a very complicated build.  I'd prefer if you can wait rather than
> NMU.  I'll have a new package up this weekend.  Tonight if I can, but
> I don't know yet.

Of course I will wait. Thanks for your timely response. Even only
lowering the severity of the bugs works for me - I only need
a package gs can link against. If the broken libgimpprint1 means that
the stp drivers don't work - tough. gs 6.51 would still be much better
than gs 5.50 :-)

Luck

	Torsten