Re: Looking for Ryan Murray "rmurray"

Hi,

Ryan Murray wrote:

[about esound-0.2.23]

And doesn't have anything that interesting in it -- except for people sending
it SIGUSR1 (who?)

Ok, that's why.

As far as I see, ALSA-0.9 (ALSA-1.0 in fact) will be part of the 2.5
linux kernel. And so, it will be the futur standard (replacing OSS).

ALSA 0.9 does not build on 7/12 architectures that ALSA 0.5 does.

True. (unfortunately, but true :-))

ALSA-0.9 also doesn't work with a lot of sound cards, and likes to change
the API rather too frequently for something stable.

Ok, so the standard is 0.5 for the moment.

[freezing problem]

Which can be said for a lot of sound drivers. This is a bug in alsa, not
in anything else.

Yes, my problem is that I don't get any log and as my box is completely freezed I can't find out what happened...

I have to investigate (but I'm suspecting some race problems between process).

[Some more arguments against going straight for Alsa-0.9]

o esound will stop building on 7/12 Debian architectures
o yet another fork from upstream
o esound is likely to die from gnome apps in the 2.0 timeframe
o esound is mostly unmaintained upstream

Ok, I'm totally convinced now ! :-)

using ALSA-OSS? Sounds like the best plan at the moment..

Ok, but this is only to help the development. I think you're right about this stuff. This is definitely too early.

In another this is really sad because I'm not really pleased with the existing OSS drivers (the sound quality is really bad). And the Alsa-0.5 driver introduce a lot of pauses in the sound streams (at least on my SMP boxe) when the load is increasing.

I didn't experiment this with Alsa-0.9 and the sound quality was really improved. But it freezes. So the only solution for me is to take my keyboard and help to develop Alsa-0.9. :-)

Thanks a lot for your time.
--
Emmanuel
Wormwood: Calvin, how about you?