Re: Looking for Ryan Murray "rmurray"

Hi,

Sylvain de Crom wrote:

I made some adjustments to esound, so that bug #114003 would be closed. I would like to give my fixed package to murray, but he doesn't respond to my mail (neither to mails from jc@jcb.yi.org)
Has anybody heard something from him in the last 45 days?

Don't know about him. But I have dig some esound related problem recently and I noticed that esound-0.2.23 is out for a 'long' time now and still not in the unstable...

By the way I would like to know about the futur of the Debian sound system on Sid !

As far as I see, ALSA-0.9 (ALSA-1.0 in fact) will be part of the 2.5 linux kernel. And so, it will be the futur standard (replacing OSS).

The problem is that now everything is running for OSS or ALSA-0.5 and not for ALSA-0.9.

There is several solution for the people who want to use ALSA-0.9.

* Use the ALSA-OSS interface

Compile the module from ALSA-website. Do:

modprobe snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss

Problems:
   o My SMP box freeze a lot when this is used (twice in 15min)
   o Temporary hack (we will have to move softwares to ALSA-0.9)

Advantages:
   o Easy to add
   o We can make the upgrade the softwares one after one
   o The sound is really better than OSS (I really enjoyed about it)

*Go straight to ALSA-0.9

First is esound. There is a patch to make it work with ALSA-0.9:
http://webpages.charter.net/tprado/esound/

I didn't test it for now.

Problems:
   o That's a lot of work in a time which must be as short as possible
o We will have to switch completely to one sound system to another (risky)
   o A lot of untested patches have to be applied
   o I don't know if aRts (KDE) has such a patch

Advantages:
   o It will definitely switch to Alsa-0.9

Of course, I would propose to follow the first way. But, I would like to know what is the feeling of the Debian people about this !

Regards
--
Emmanuel

Wormwood: Calvin, how about you? Calvin : Hard to say ma'am. I think my cerebellum just fused.
 -- Calvin & Hobbes (Bill Waterson)