Re: *sigh* Boost Yet Again

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, David A. Greene wrote:

> Here we go again...
>
> I've yet to hear from Raphael about the Boost build problems
> in sid.  I recall someone else mentioning they were going to
> do an NMU but I haven't heard anything since (about two weeks
> now, I think).

Um, that would be me I think.

> I'm at a point in my project where the Boost Graph Library
> is for all practical purposes a necessity.  I'm not a
> maintainer, but I may just be at the point where I have to
> package the thing myself.  I'll probably start from Raphael's
> efforts, but Boost has reorganized itself and I have no idea
> what implications that has for the current packages.  If
> someone is definitely working on this *now*, _please_ let me
> know and tell me how I can help.

I did download the old packages and update them to the latest version but
I believe I ran into problems with the python bits. (This was also the
time Debian was doing its python transition.)   1.25.1 which was
released a week ago could solve the problem.

> I know I could install from sid (I'm running woody) or from
> upstream, but that doesn't solve the underlying problem.  Even
> if I did install from sid, in its current state I have no
> guarantee that Boost would work out-of-the-box.  Installing
> from upstream is not a good solution for us because we have
> several Debian boxes we use for development.  Better to
> keep them in sync in the "official" way.
>
> Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Help?  (please?)

I'm still interested in doing this (NMU that is not maintainership.)  I've
got a couple of things in my packages to deal with first, then I'll look
at it again.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>