Re: hurry up already with official 2.4

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 12:21:36PM -0500, mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 09:09:29AM -0800, David Larsen wrote:
> > ok guyz
> > i use debian on a few computers. but i think its pretty bad that you don't
> > have an official 2.4kernel based distro.  yeah, i know that woody is in the
> > 'frozen' stage, and you can modify potato to use 2.4 kernel, but for cryin
> > out lout, kernel 2.4 has been out over a year now.  i see countless people
>
> It has been out for over a year and I have yet to see a version of it that
> is stable.  Every week I hear of yet another problem with the latest 2.4
> kernel.  I still run 2.2.19 on my main computer.

actually lets correct this non-fact in the orginal whin^H^H^H^Hposters
message.  2.4 was released January of 2001 iirc. we have not yet
passed January of 2002 thus 2.4 cannot have been `out for over a year
now'

the -test preXX-testYY-prerelease-XX versions don't count, those were
pre 2.4.0 as thier assortment of names points out.

> 2.4 on my laptop seems to be doing great, but I'm not necessarily pushing
> it to the max (and it does crash in certain situations...)
>
> YMMV, but personally I'm a little leery of the 2.4 kernel as a stable kernel.

its finally getting there, but i too still run 2.2, now 2.2.20 since
.19 has security holes.

I would suggest if the user who posted wants a 2.4 kernel by default
he should switch to an architecture where debian is using one due to
it being more stable/complete on that port.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/