Re: hurry up already with official 2.4

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 12:21:36PM -0500, mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 09:09:29AM -0800, David Larsen wrote:
> > ok guyz
> > i use debian on a few computers. but i think its pretty bad that you don't
> > have an official 2.4kernel based distro.  yeah, i know that woody is in the
> > 'frozen' stage, and you can modify potato to use 2.4 kernel, but for cryin
> > out lout, kernel 2.4 has been out over a year now.  i see countless people
>
> It has been out for over a year and I have yet to see a version of it that
> is stable.  Every week I hear of yet another problem with the latest 2.4
> kernel.  I still run 2.2.19 on my main computer.
>
> 2.4 on my laptop seems to be doing great, but I'm not necessarily pushing
> it to the max (and it does crash in certain situations...)
>
> YMMV, but personally I'm a little leery of the 2.4 kernel as a stable kernel.

I completely agree about the stability of 2.4.x, and I do not think that it
is ready to be the default installed kernel for Debian.  However, it is
important that Debian include the tools necessary to use such a kernel in a
stable release.  Current potato users can't even try out 2.4.x without
upgrading several packages.

This will be fixed when woody is released.

--
 - mdz