Re: Proposal: Virtual package motif, motif-dev

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Herbert Xu wrote:

> Is this a Debian package? If so, you can't have a situation where it will
~> apt-cache search libmotif
libmotif - Open Motif - shared libraries
libmotif-dbg - Open Motif - debug libraries
libmotif-dev - Open Motif - development files

> be linked against either lesstif or motif depending on what's installed.
> It must choose one or provide two copies of itself, one for each library.
>
> If it chooses one, then you should declare a build-depends on it, otherwise
> you need to build-depend on both.
>
> I don't think a virtual package is satisfactory in either situation.
I think some certain tests have to be made here and I do not have the
experience with motif programs to do it as precise as it should do.  But
the description of lesstif says:

   LessTif, made by the Hungry Programmers, is a free (LGPL-ed) version of
   OSF/Motif; it aims ultimately at binary compatibility with Motif 1.2.

If it claims to be binary compatible it should really give an alternative
to programs linked against motif 1.2.  For sure, the Open Motif version
in Debian is:

   Source: openmotif
   Version: 2.1.30-5

and I really do not know much about the difference.  That´s why I´m
discussing it at first here on debian-devel before bothering debian-policy
(Branden, is that OK?).

Kind regards

        Andreas.