Re: Default MTA and dependencies

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 06:38:17PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Tollef Fog Heen <tollef@add.no> immo vero scripsit
>
> > | Tollef> The dependencies on just mail-transport-agent is a bug, afaik,
> > |
> > | Why? This looks just fine to me. Some programs just need a mail
> > | transport agent, without any preference.
> >
> > Depending on only a virtual package gives APT hiccups, AFAIK.
>
> It would confuse automatic scripts, such as a build daemon.
> They are special-casing such dependencies currently.

Isn't it required that all packages which provide a pure
virtual package and also conflict (eg all mail-transport-agents)
have priority 'extra' except one?

In that case, shouldn't these tools install the one with the
highest priority in cases where nothing is specified?

IMHO we should not have to specify 'exim | mail-transport-agent'
in our packages just because apt-get is unable to deal with it.
A better solution is to fix apt-get.

Hamish