Re: Grub

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 11:47:08PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:

> There is an option.  It's just not the default.  However again I'm not

no there isn't.  having spent much more time in boot-floppies code
then one would want to be subjected to i can say there is not one line
of code dealing with grub.

the forks made by the Hurd (or is that the The Hurd :) folks probably
have something but mainline boot-floppies don't.

> Does GRUB work on anything other than i386?  The Debian package is an i386
> only package.

its very i386 only.

> When GRUB can be used to boot two or three other architectures you will have
> a much stronger case for it, if we could use the same boot loader on all
> architectures it would be great!

that is a pipe dream, it will almost certainly never happen, and in
fact i don't think it should happen, the result would be a pain to
maintain.

i toyed with the idea of grub on powerpc and quickly abandoned the
idea. grub is written for i386, deal with it.  powerpc and sparc and
most other architectures are nothing like i386 when it comes to
bootloaders.  a common sparc/powerpc bootloader otoh is doable and may
happen in the distant future, but common i386/anything-else i very
much doubt.

> Grub totally lacks serial console support!!!

wrong.

> Does grub support XFS and JFS yet?

yes, the debian packages have the XFS and JFS patches applied,
upstream will be merging them soon as well.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/