Re: RFC: SDL and X static extension libraries re-revisited

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 08:15:49PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Change policy so that static libraries that aren't available as shared
> libraries must be compiled  with "-fPIC" (and other static libraries
> still mustn't be compiled with "-fPIC").
>
> I don't understand the technical details, but as far as I understand it
> adding "-fPIC" when compiling these few static libraries might have some
> bad effects on the space and/or the execution time of these libraries but
> it saves many troubles like the ones we see now with the SDL libraries.
>
> Is this a possible solution or did I miss something?

Some assembler optimised code cannot be made relocatable with a simple
compiler flag. Speaking of libdv, there's a C fallback that could be
built position independent, but the impact on performance is tremendous.
Given your proposal, I'd have to build a shared lib off the C version
and teach each dependent package not to use it, but the optimised static
version. Looks rather awkward to me.

Regards,

Daniel.