Re: RFC: SDL and X static extension libraries re-revisited

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Branden Robinson wrote:

> Hi folks,

Hi Branden,

> 4) You can make the problem "go away" on Linux with gcc by supplying the
> "-fPIC" flag when compiling unshared (static) objects (a.k.a. ".a"
> files).  However, this is a violation of Debian Policy, and in the
> general case it's a total waste to do this because static objects don't
> need symbol relocation information because they'll never be relocated.
> Comments?

Now that there are again problems with libraries that are only available
as static libraries I'd like to know your opinion on the following

Change policy so that static libraries that aren't available as shared
libraries must be compiled  with "-fPIC" (and other static libraries
still mustn't be compiled with "-fPIC").

I don't understand the technical details, but as far as I understand it
adding "-fPIC" when compiling these few static libraries might have some
bad effects on the space and/or the execution time of these libraries but
it saves many troubles like the ones we see now with the SDL libraries.

Is this a possible solution or did I miss something?

Get my GPG key: finger bunk@debian.org | gpg --import

Fingerprint: B29C E71E FE19 6755 5C8A  84D4 99FC EA98 4F12 B400