Re: wonderful day! (2 FHS transitions complete in one upgrade)

On 2001-10-26, Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
> Comment 1: If 99,99% of packages have their docs in /usr/share/doc we
> should modify policy so that symlinks from /usr/doc are no longer
> required.  For woody, we can rely on docs being in a single location
> again, namely, /usr/share/doc, so symlinks are completely useless at
> this point.

If my memory sverves correctly, policy is frozen already, and this is
not really a RC measure, for the plans were that the release woody+1 be
completely /usr/doc/-free.

[further comments snipped]

> Packages should stop creating symlinks in either case, and that's
> enough for having an empty /usr/doc directory. If you want the process
> to go faster, you can always remove the symlinks yourself if it
> bothers so much.

a) Keep in mind that this (in combination with the policy modification)
   would result in a lot of RC bugs, which will postpone the release of
   woody even further.
b) Removing the symlinks won't stop dpkg from running a (not yet)
   unnecessary postinst, which was what Joey (and I - faster upgrades
   ho!) wants.

It's nice to have a fully FHS-compliant system, but for woody, the goal
was near-FHS compliance and backwards-compatibility for users who still
use the old locations.

--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf@acm.org>, asf@jabber.at, antifuchs
Hail RMS! Hail Cthulhu! Hail Eris! All hail Discordia!