Re: wonderful day! (2 FHS transitions complete in one upgrade)

Joey Hess wrote:
> I hope that not long after woody is released, base-files's postinst
> will be set to delete all symlinks in /usr/doc, move any directories
> that might somehow remain to /usr/share/doc, and link /usr/share/doc
> to /usr/doc. Then we can start removing all the symlink management
> code from all the postinsts and prerm's, and dpkg stops having to
> run a postinst for every single package it upgrades.  I eagerly
> await that day.

Comment 1: If 99,99% of packages have their docs in /usr/share/doc
we should modify policy so that symlinks from /usr/doc are no longer required.
For woody, we can rely on docs being in a single location again,
namely, /usr/share/doc, so symlinks are completely useless at this point.

Comment 2: I already told everybody that we could stop requiring
symlinks the day after potato release, and we would have a completely
*really* empty /usr/doc now, but nobody believed me...

Comment 3: I don't understand why people insist that base-files should
do such and such (the proposal approved by the TC speaks about this in
terms of "we could even make base-files do this and this", but not as a must).

Packages should stop creating symlinks in either case, and that's enough
for having an empty /usr/doc directory. If you want the process to go
faster, you can always remove the symlinks yourself if it bothers so much.

Thanks.