Re: unreproducable, but grave bug

>>>>> "Jason" == Jason Thomas <jason@debian.org> writes:

This has been an interesting discussion. Others seem to have addressed
the question of should the maintainer close the bug or not in detail,
so I will turn to the other side: what I can do about it.

(assuming it is still a problem - even I can't reproduce it on demand,
and have no idea what triggers it - hopefully the new msqld version
has fixed it).

    Jason> It's really difficult for a maintainer to solve a problem
    Jason> he can not reproduce.  The only solution it for you to
    Jason> attempt to debug it yourself.

True.

    Jason> Options for doing this are:

    Jason> - Contact upstream, mysql should have a mailing list or
    Jason> something.

hmmm.... my strong suspicions is that mysqld authors will have as much
problems as the Debian maintainer (unless it is a known bug...).

    Jason> - Try things like coping the databases to another machine
    Jason> and setup there and attempt to reproduce the problem.

    Jason> - backup the databases and purge the mysql package and data
    Jason> from the machine, then do a reinstall and put the databases
    Jason> back and see if the problem disappears. backuping up the
    Jason> mysql config might help with this that way you can compare
    Jason> with the default from the package to see if something in
    Jason> there could cause the problem.

Good suggestions. I will try them if I get really stuck...

Somebody else suggested strace, however seeing as sometimes it can be
weeks before it crashes...

Still, I will keep my fingers crossed that the newer version has fixed
the problem.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>